The 3GPP framework architecture for Policy and Charging control, which includes the PCRF, PCEF and TDF, is currently limited to network based deployments.
Growing demand for smartphones, coupled with the continuing performance growth of such devices, means increasing bandwidth and connectivity demands on the carrier network. Optimising Quality of Experience for users is increasingly difficult.
Network-based deployments of the PCEF/TDF can only respond to up-stream traffic after it has left the RAN and entered the network, and cannot fully protect against contention for resources in the RAN itself.
The solution is to extend policy control (PCEF and TDF) to the mobile device. The combination of the PCEF with the TDF on a user device is the only way to deliver complete visibility of user traffic and application demands to MNOs, which optimises quality of experience within the overall 3GPP policy framework.
The GoS 360° product consists of a network based manager component for interfacing to a PCRF, and a device based PCEF Agent. GoS360° provides a highly scalable platform based on future-proof investment supporting a wide range of use cases.
- Enhance and complement network-based PCEF solutions
- Optimise user Quality of Experience at the level of devices
- Manage up-stream traffic before it reaches the network
- Control signalling load in the RAN, ensuring more efficient use of radio bandwidth
- Increase UE battery life
- Reduce signalling load leading to CAPEX savings in the RAN
- Obtain a complete, real-time view of application and network performance from the user device, enabling operators to provide intelligent service assurance solutions
- Deliver application and user specific policies to client devices
- E.g. policy for location and performance aware access network selection per application flow
- Prioritise real-time traffic from different applications
- Rich Communications Suite (RCS)
- Mobile broadband access via dongles
- Video communication and collaboration
- On-demand streaming services
- RAN signalling traffic reduction
- Access network selection